Monday, May 2, 2011

What to do with all those labels?

Lots happened this past weekend. The Royal Wedding (which I loved!), White House Correspondents Dinner (Seth Myers did a fantastic job), and the most important news of all. Osama Bin Laden is officially dead! Wow...

I was given a Dear Abby article from a recent SF Chronicle issue which dealt with non profit solicitations. Specifically the ones that give you an incentive such as sheets of labels, notepads, etc. It was interesting to see how people reacted to those mailings. One writer received "532 request from 119 organizations" in 6 months! Another writer wrote "my view is, if they're using my donations to send gifts, then they really don't need my money. They should be using donations to help whomever or whatever it is they're soliciting for."

I personally have received quite a few of these types of solicitations. I never know how to react to them. I agree that they should be using donations to do other things rather than printing and mailing labels. My mom recently felt so guilty she sent a donation to an organization that sent her labels since she was using them. The organization ended up sending her a thank you with more labels!

What do you think of these types of mailings? Are you more likely to respond? Less likely?

--L

No comments:

Post a Comment