Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Celebrity Endorsements

I was given an article today from the San Francisco Chronicle titled "What causes you to get behind a cause or nonprofit?" that I found to be very interesting. The article asked 5 people various questions about their personal activism and involvement in organizations. However, the question that peaked my interest the most was the last one: "Do celebrity endorsements of philanthropic causes affect you?"

With the rise of Twitter and other social media websites, celebrity endorsements are becoming very common. For example on Twitter, a lot of celebrities are using it as a personal platform to discuss various causes and organizations that they feel passionately about.

Personally, depending on the celebrity, I may be more inclined to check out a certain cause or non profit but I would never just blindly support it. But the article got me thinking...have I subconsciously started believing in a cause because a celebrity was associated with it?

Celebrity endorsements are powerful; almost every advertisement features one. So why not use that power to promote something good? So maybe it's not necessarily a bad thing if I support a cause that's promoted by a celebrity.

What are your thoughts? Are there any causes that you have supported because of a celebrity? Are there causes that you were turned off against because of a celebrity?

--L

4 comments:

  1. On a positive note, the advertisement with Sarah McLachlan's song "Angel" playing in the background, and about mistreated animals, finally got to me, so I give to many animal rights causes because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That commercial gets to me every time too! But is it the her and the song or the animals they show?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you I wouldn't blindly support a cause just because of a particular celebrity, but I do pay more attention to the print or tv message if it's relayed by a celebrity I admire. I was thrilled recently to learn that one of my favorite actors, Leonardo DiCaprio, is working with the WWF to protect endangered tigers and I'd be more likely to donate more than I already have to this cause if it were part of his campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great point. It's wonderful when a celebrity that you admire align with a cause that you support!

    ReplyDelete